PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA/JAA Aviation Medical & related issues
Old 29th Mar 2001, 05:00
eject

ASI, ref your query re corneal topography, I believe the US military have used these techniques to screen for laser correction. JAA medical has not adopted this method as yet and relies to a certain extent on the honesty of the candidate as lasik and PRK can not always be easily detected, even with slit lamp, fluorecene (sp?) and 30X magnification. Nevertheless, despite the fact that it may be difficult or even impossible to determine beyind doubt through slit lamp testing for instance that lasik or PRK had been performed, there are other clues which will provide the examining opthalmologist with strong evidence relating to the structure of the eye. Personally, as a wannabe who's undergone lasik, I was given lots of advice from an assortment of professional pilots, along the lines of "say nothing, they'll never know" etc. I decided to be up front and got my initial Class 1 without difficulty. That's not to say that something will not arise at some time in the future to prevent me from flying professionally/at all. For now though, two years down the line from the lasik procedure having been carried out, my vision is excellent and well within Class 1 standards. If you want any further info ASI, feel free to email/post.