PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Makes an Outstanding Captain
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2013, 02:57
Killaroo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But nitpicker - what exactly is your motivation? An on-time departure?
I don't see it as my job to enforce that. As that guy sitting in a small room behind a locked door (which they've insisted on) I'm largely out of the loop now. That's somebody else's job to arrange. Ranting at the ground staff or ATC will get you exactly nowhere. All it will do is raise the temperature in the cockpit, and elevate your blood pressure. I've rarely seen one of these rants make a damn bit of material difference. Possibly made things worse in fact!

I do recognise that there are some folk who just cannot sit still, and who feel they MUST rant and rave, even if it only makes them FEEL like they're achieving something. As if management are looking over their shoulder and making notes - perhaps writing them up for a commendation "Most on-time Captain" or somesuch. Like its a bloody competition.
Just read ze FCOM or the Standard when you feel it coming on. You'll live longer.

PS Very early in my career I flew with one of those ranting captains. Fifteen years later I heard he had a stroke during climb and died after a 3 month coma caused by oxygen starvation to the brain. There was no better candidate for it than that poor man.