PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA/JAA Aviation Medical & related issues
Old 27th Mar 2001, 18:47
redsnail

OK, I just did the JAA medical at the Gatwick. Since I have an ICAO ATPL there are some elements that aren't done eg EEG, X-ray etc. However, the eyes are looked at. If you wear spectacles and your diopter limits are greater than (maybe) + or -3.0 I think you will get drops. I didn't as my specs aren't too strong.

Distance vision is checked. "read the bottom line" sort of thing. L&R eyes and then both eyes, uncorrected and corrected.
Close up vision is checked. As above.
Colour vision is checked.Ishihara plates.
Retinas are looked at as well. (ie look at the bright light while they get very close to you with another bright light!!) They are looking at the back of your eyeball for any irregularities. No "mapping" was done as such.
Peripheral vision is checked.
Eye muscle balance is checked. They are looking to see if you are cross eyed here. I am. Then they check to see if you get double vision because of it. They do this by using a light on the end of a stick and moving it around, not unlike the peripheral vision check. They also check to see if you can track items close to you. I don't like that one.
No glaucoma check.
L&R eye dominance is checked as well.
Usual medical history questions are asked too. All in all, it was a pretty thorough eye exam.