PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 14th Dec 2013, 18:58
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from Fortyodd2:

"Chris Scott,
Fair point. However, the "basics" in this instance are to get the lever down, control Nr and attitude. What happens next depends on a large number of type, altitude, speed, etc factors.
Apart from a fairly large application of rudder, I cannot image that the drills you would have used on the A320 suffering an engine failure at FL 300 & 500Kts would be the same as those in a Dakota on a half mile final."

I see this thread has become moribund, and your kind reply has been shunted off to the autorotation thread. Not sure I'd be welcome over there!

Re your analogy with fixed-wing, perhaps you should have posed a complete loss of power from both engines in quick succession. If caused by a problem in the fuel system, for example, the A320 crew would have about 10 minutes to sort it out and relight one or both. In your Dak scenario, the frangible approach lights (if it's that sort of airfield) would be the most likely end-point, unless there's flat ground to the side. From one or two miles' final over a built-up area (I can think of many), however, there's nowhere to go, and stalling IAS is about 55 kt.

To return to topic, no one responded to my observation that the AAIB has merely said so far that Nr was zero at impact; prior to that we do not know.

Having assessed the VS at first impact, they could calculate a notional height from which the a/c might have fallen with a stationary main-rotor. That at least would be interesting.

LW 50,

I neglected to acknowledge your interesting and helpful post. Thanks!