PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2013, 13:39
flarepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rat5

yes.

regarding flight directors...I hate the two cue and love the single cue (howard johnson roof), but LOVE NO FLIGHT DIRECTORS THE BEST.

One sim instructor was really into FDs , yelling all the time...so, there was a little button marked: flight director cue/sync.

by pressing this button the flight director would sort of follow me, so I pressed the button and flew it without really looking at it. He loved it. (the instructor)said I was doing great following the flight director.

sheesh.(and this was over 20 years ago).

Then, I'll never forget this, he said: fly the NDB apch to runway 34 left, circle to land (remember those?)16 right.

oh, and do it just the way you would do it on the line.

he wanted me to configure at the NDB go to the MDA and make the pattern and land.

I went in clean and FsST to the NDB, went to the MDA, entered the pattern, slowing on the down wind etc and circling to land.

He said: that's not the way we do it.

I said:: ITS THE WAY WE DO IT ON THE LINE

my sim partner and I laughed and laughed and the sim instructor looked like I had taken away his birthday.

of course now a days we are limited to basic VFR for circling, so really how hard is it?

What we need is to demand the hand flying skills and GOUGE airmanship from the old days and knowledge of the magic.

oh, and has anyone noticed that jane fonda's eye wrinkles look just like the stress wrinkles aft of the wing on a 737? not fonda jane.