PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2013, 10:38
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Way back in the days when pilots were trained on Real Aeroplanes like the Provost T1 with a 550hp supercharged radial pulling it along full power checks used to be interesting.
The aircraft was double chocked with chains holding the fore and aft together. To stop it nosing over two airmen, there was National Service in those days so no shortage, would stand by the rudder ahead of the tailplane. As the engine note started rising they would lie across the tailplane so as to keep the tail down. On a cold day the starboard one's bum would freeze but the port one's would be kept warm by the blue flame coming out of the exhaust. At completion a quick waggle of the rudder would bash their heads and they knew they were no longer required.
I did what was probably the last single piston fullpower check apart from the BBHF in the seventies. A Provost WV494 that was on the strength of 23 MU with a ####M No was being disposed of owing to the closer of the MU. It was fully servicable apart from the clock.
Fantastic fun; never did it again.
The aircraft did, I think it is still flying.

This is the closest I have ever got to a noseover.