PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - explain the "auto throttle" to me/us
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2013, 01:01
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
C'mon, Bloggs

The optimum AoA for approach, climb, range etc. is what it is. The speed is a result of your configuration at the AoA ( slotted flaps, leading edge devices, etc factored in).

The jet stalls at "x" AoA, and speed could be above or below the manual's number - think accelerated stall and such.

I did not appreciate the concept of the AoA "indexer" lights on the gunsight/HUD until flying the SLUF. Then, we had the actual AoA bracket next to our flight path marker in the HUD. Sheesh, how could it have been easier, with no flight directors or auto-anything? Our AoA was the real deal, and compensated for gross weight without us doing anything. Some configuration factors came into play, but the basic AoA didn't change much - figure a degree or so AoA.

We usually set a power of 95% or so for our wingies when climbing. Then we climbed at a mach or a generic speed while trimming for such. Sheesh. Easy. Upon level, got to the best mach and used whatever power we had to, duhhhh? Why is that so hard?

It would seem to me that basic throttle settings for climb, cruise and descent would be easy to know. For approach, if you need otto to help, then fine. but quit connecting the throttle to the AP modes. If you want to "point" and use throttle for speed, your choice.