PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 13th Dec 2013, 19:16
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John Eacott
Autos are energy management; you have three lots of energy (height, airspeed and Nr) to manipulate and arrive safely on the ground. How you manage that is dependent on many factors and there is no initial reaction that fits all of the possible entry scenarios.

Dogmatic posts such as the OP don't seem to have grasped that reality.
Exactly right (spot on?) regarding energy management. But I am more than a little sympathetic to the OP's point regarding autorotational training regarding disk loading and energy transfer in the autorotation entry which if I may- is the primary point attempted to be made- not airspeed, a separate energy variable that certainly has to be considered.

A sudden and complete power interruption at twice Vx/Vy is a very different experience than most training exercises and is complicated by surprise and shock, especially in twin-tin, as SASless points out. I am constantly shocked to hear otherwise competent pilots excuse poor decisions because "they have two engines". Double engine failures do occur, not to mention drive train and antitorque failures.