PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 13th Dec 2013, 19:07
soggyboxers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FC80,
Sorry, age and a long day with the hot African sun burning my pink shiny helipad, combined with your surprised reaction, caused me to look at my last post and correct it - what I meant to say was that I never had an engine failure in a single, but I've had 3 double engine failures in twins . I was always taught that in forward flight I should simultaneously lower the collective with a touch of aft cyclic to prevent the nose dropping and use the flare effect to preserve Nr and prevent too much altitude loss, giving a few microseconds more to try and figure out how to get the beast down without killing myself. I guess it worked out for me because I survived and I always told my few students that watching their efforts at energy management helped me to learn that there are many ways to skin a cat. I had a few interesting single engine failures in twins which actually involved more problem solving and delicacy of control input than was ever the case with my own experiences of double engine failures. Anyway, what do I know, as I'm now reduced to reading what real aviators do