PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2013, 17:10
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misd-agin
Read the interviews. Lots of comments about higher and lower status. It's alive and well in their cockpit. The issue is was it, or was it not, part of the cause?
I did read them! I was talking about the "cultural" issues being overcome at KAL, not Asiana - the latter may require a similar audit. I mentioned KAL as an example of how perceived negative aspects of "culture" are not insurmountable, with the right approach.

Training checks are scripted.
The expat pilots who said that retired from Asiana 2 and 4 years ago respectively. It may still be an issue, but there are other issues at Asiana which warrant attention too - specifically the focus on punitive measures almost as soon as you join, and the disconnect between what the crew of the flight said about strong CRM and the actuality, whereby the command gradient in the flight deck seemed at times uncertain.

I got the distinct impression that the PIC and check Captain were each expecting the other to call Go-Around for some time before they decided to do it themselves.