PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 13th Dec 2013, 15:21
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paco

Having had three 206 engine failures, one at night with the Alton Towers L, that scenario seems very familiar! Two were compressor blades flying out of the side, and the night one turned out to be the NR gauge, but having set myself up and fired off a flare, I just carried on. Good job I did, because at the end of the field was a set of large tower lines which we discovered the next morning. No damage to anything aside from the initial cause.
Good God Phil, that is more than anyone should have to contend with! And all three in the 'safe as houses' 'Jetbox'! Bravo however, on getting down safe and sound, you have my unrestrained respect. Those rotorbursts .. they weren't by any chance on aircraft which had been used in repetitive lifting-work were they?

For those unfamiliar with the Towers operation, John Broome (the original developer of Alton Towers) was pretty much a workaholic and in the winter months there was little hope of arriving back at Tilston Hall (John's residence) before dark. The Colonel had the Schermuly flares fitted to the craft and had begun discussing the need to upgrade the operation to a twin. Eventually a Bell 222 was bought but this was some years after the Colonel's departure.

I had always wanted to fire-off one of those flares but .. the Colonel would have none of it. Was it of help during your forced landing? Have never seen one in operation.

Soggy: Bravo amico! Presumably you were flying those 'early twins' with insufficient power to remain aloft? Ah yes the TwinEcureuil, in a practice (throttles to idle) engine-off landing. Especially with high skid gear. One must be on ones toes!