PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is BALPA fit for purpose
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2013, 12:13
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itch

1. they can make everyone on the base redundant and there is plenty of case law on that one with other company's both airline and other.

They can keep critical skills if they so wish ie if they want to keep a TRE they can do but if there is more than one with the same skill set there has to be some sort of matrix about which who stays and seniority can be one of the criteria.

2. Again the whole fleet can go and any that are held onto the matrix has to be applied to. But they can't just get rid of everyone else and keep a few without a valid selection matrix.

3. This is the difficult one and it all depends on the matrix used for selection and if its deemed legal or not.

The matrix could be.

1. Base
2. Fleet type
3. TRE/TRI
4. disciplinary recorded.
5. Seniority.

But they can move the items around as they and there lawyers see fit. The base and fleet redundancy is pretty sound in my opinion. They shouldn't have much problem with keeping the training team if they so wish but there is no requirement to.

The selection away amongst the rest is the hard bit. It can depend if you contract is for a pilot or its defined by your seat ie is their a FO's contract and when the upgrade they get a Captains contract. If its like that it might not be possible to slide people back into the RHS. Because the different seats would be defined as different jobs. Where as if the contract was just for pilot the seat allocation wouldn't be part of the job description.

But what ever happens that job has to be vacant for a year. Then using other bases on a route I don't think has been tested yet. ie if they completely get rid of one base and serve the same route from another base using the same aircraft type. Then within that year they expand the new base up by say filling it with cadets and upgrading FO's to LHS. But I doubt they would be stupid enough to try that. They will just wait a year and then they can expand at will.

But this is just the opinion of another pilot that's done the managers employment law basic course not the HR one which is 4 weeks. And had experience of redundancy's outside aviation.