PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2013, 00:10
Danny42C

......and talk of Many Things.....

To All it May Concern Below:

I seem to have started so many hares running at the same time, that the only way to get ahead of the pack is to lift a phrase or two from your Posts singly, and then put in a word or two in italic:

#4742 MPN11,

What we actually need is Danny to stop sitting on his bum at Gut, and get himself to Shawbury to be an ATC teeecher.....

Danny was sitting at Geilenkirchen , not Gütersloh, and will be for the next two years, then two more at Linton-on-Ouse, before he was let loose on the eager young Seekers after Knowledge 'twixt Grins Hill and the Wrekin ! Be patient and all will be revealed...D

#4753 Dave Wilson,

Danny next time I'm up there I'll have a look for your house and see if I can take a few shots........

Thanks, but found it last year on Google Street Search. It's right down the end of Bubwith Lane, recognisable as a red brick post-war (S/Ldrs) OMQ, trees around much grown up; it was the only MQ built there (for the C.O., I believe). Everyone else had to shift for themselves ! (I was at Linton, got the place as no one else wanted it - too far out in the sticks)
#4760 Danny, just caught your comment re the water at Breighton, there had been heavy rain the week before and the Derwent had burst it's banks, hence all of the large puddles!...

Ah, so ! Even so, I can't 'fix' myself anywhere - sorry......D.

#4754 Beagle,

BREIGHTON Danny, you might be interested in this site: Breighton which contains many photos of Breighton. This thread, The Real Aeroplane Company - Breighton Aerodrome also includes wartime photos of Breighton as well as the Thor IRBMs and Bloodhound Mk1 SAMs of later years.........

Thanks, very interesting - the second site was the more informative, and there were tantalising spots on the shots that "might have been". Searched the first (overhead) picture, down at the SW edge saw something possible, but under magnification - no)

The Piper Tri-Pacer, in its 'Caribbean' version, was the first aircraft in which I flew at the age of 11. It's a delightful light aeroplane and benefits from being a 'non-EASA' aeroplane, so is outside the €urocratic nonsense of EASA........

What was EASA, please ? Thanks again, (camlobe answers the question of the control coupling below) ....D.

#4758 Chugalug,

The one thing that should remain unchanged, I would suggest, should be the thread title. It no longer restricts us to the obtaining of Pilot Brevets, nor of being recruited in the Second World War. It is but a starting point on a journey that hopefully will never end, but "boldly go where no man has gone before"!....

Yes ! I regard my function as a wick around which other Posts can coalesce, like wax on a candle while I hang on to the old Title.

Your joke somehow underlines the common experience that unites us all, Danny, no matter when we joined. Maximum effort from the start or we have no use for you. That was the message, and it still is....Well said, sir !.....D.

#4759 camlobe ,

Danny,
Good to hear from you on your R&R. With regard to the Tri-Pacer, although there is a spring interconnect betwixt aileron and rudder (the American method of ensuring coordinated turns...makes for interesting crosswind landings though), I suspect the aircraft you are referring to is the Ercoupé, with all three axis controlled by the yoke, and because it didn't really stall, it couldn't be spun - simple and safe.......

You're right - it was the Ercoupé I had in mind ! - I remember when I were a lad, they said that about the Flying Flea (you could get the airframe for £75 from Lewis's [Department Store] in L'pool - needed some light home assembly !). You had to buy your own engine - they recommended the Scott "Flying Squirrel" M/Bike twin aircooled unit. The thing killed quite a few people before they found it wasn't as quite stall-proof as they'd thought.

They were interesting times....

and we were fated to live in them (the old Chinese curse !) ...D.

#4763 Fareastdriver,

Don't knock it......

or Chugalug will be on you like a ton of bricks !...D.

Next Post in ASAP, Cheers to all, Danny.