PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta 767 runway excursion in MAD
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2013, 23:35
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah yes Airbubba but when you press the reserve brakes and steering switch it is supposed to set up a separate small isolated hydraulic system. It re-activates the #1 centre pump to power it regardless of what the pump indications were before.
You're right, I should have said if that light was still on after pressing the reserve brakes and steering switch.

As you know, the Boeing QRH (13.27) has you check that C1 ELEC HYD PRESS light after you push the reserve brakes and steering switch. If the light is on, you don't have fluid left in the valve isolated system:

Center 1 electric hydraulic primary pump PRESS
light is illuminated:

Nose wheel steering is inoperative.
Only accumulator pressure is available for
brakes.
Apply steady, increasing brake pressure
and hold to a full stop. Do not taxi.
Anyway, after any high energy emergency landing with major hydraulic issues I would be inclined to have the fire crew look me over, make sure the fuse plugs on the tires are not about to blow, get the gear pinned, hook up a tug and shut down on the runway. Maybe make a turnoff if I did have nosewheel steering but I don't think I would let them talk me into taxiing to the gate or the maintenance hangar after such a catastrophic systems failure.