PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 12th Dec 2013, 20:35
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Well in PG's defence I have been caught out by a recently trained pilot who entered a practice autorotation in an EC225 (aircraft, not Sim) by flooring the collective without moving the cyclic. We didn't even take the engines back to idle! Anyway, after I had scraped myself off the cockpit roof I just had time to grab the collective as the disc "bit" and the Nr went wild with the Nr gauge rotating nearly as fast as the rotors! I yanked up the collective and caught it right on the max transient power off Nr limit, above which it would have been head change time.

Others have been less aggressive with the lowering but still unaware that they should move the cyclic back when doing this from the cruise. So his point is valid and whilst you can poo poo it if you know it already, you should be aware that there are some professional pilots out there who don't know it. I know that for a fact!

And don't forget that quite clearly our own TC doesn't know it, nor presumably do his students.