PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue Silk,Green Satin and Orange Harvest.
Old 12th Dec 2013, 16:04
ian16th

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rev 1.5
All 3 Green Satin LRUs had to be replaced as a match set.
This was a change from after my time.

The 'double humped' unit was the Tx/Rx and the 'single hump' was the Tracker Unit. Each could be changed individually.

Before my tour at Akrotiri, I was on 214 Sqdn with Valiants for nearly 4 years and changed many of them. Including once on a night shift I managed to change the Tx/Rx on my own. It was a hell of a struggle, it was over 100lbs, and I think I put my back out

Also while on 214, when we started training Vulcan crews to do In Flight Refuelling, we had a Vulcan visit Marham. Because the Vulcan Sqdn OC was coming to see out OC, Air Traffic sent the a/c to our dispersal.

This of course was quite an event and we all gathered round to look at the strange beast. When the crew got out there was a call for a 'radar guy'. They had a Green Satin snag, from the discussion with the Nav, it seemed to be a Tx/Rx problem, so we asked guy; 'Where in this quarter of an acre of airframe is it?'

It turned out to be in the port wing! There apparantly was a special winch to lower the entire Green Satin, but of course we being a Valiant Sqdn didn't have one!

With 4 guys on a saftey raiser, we got the panel off, unfastened the mounting screws and man handled it out, but we couldn't put it down as this would have damaged the Aerial Array. Somehow we struggeled and got the Tx/Rx off and replace it and managed not to have anyone fall of the raiser.

Happy Daze