PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 12th Dec 2013, 12:03
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps a better way of describing this "aft cyclic" thing is as my very experienced FI course instructor put it..."HOLD the attitude". That means you hold the attitude you need for what is happening with the helicopter and what you plan to do next. After engine failure at altitude in a small helicopter, when the nose will almost definitely drop or be about to, that means aft cyclic. In the hover it doesn't, and with larger helicopters with more inertia, fixed rotor systems etc...well, I'll leave that to those who have far more hours flying them than I do.

The really, really important point is that ALL helicopter pilots KNOW about this! You learn it from Exercise 7 of the Private Pilot's syllabus. You practice it over and over again. You re-learn it every time you convert to a new type, learning the differences (if there are any) for that type. It's not a secret in any way, in fact it's emphasised and practised to such an extent that some instructors feel it's overdone and we should do more stuff about other emergencies instead . There is absolutely no chance at all that the pilot in this accident didn't know precisely what was recommended for engine failure in his helicopter. Peter Gillies, I don't like being this hard on anyone in public, but you got that completely WRONG!!!!

Now that's sorted, can we get back to the main topic of the thread. Please!