PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAA pilot funding program- Tanzania
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2013, 11:43
Hawkeye0001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it means there are people there at home have no JOBS and they have license?
Half a license and an attitude. Some of them with PPLs only, some with CPLs but no IR, it all seems like half arsed and not thought through attempts in becoming pilots. That's the problem. They could have jobs if they would pay their dues like everyone else did; flying for salaries in countries that do offer this kind of opportunities for newly minted pilots, e.g. Botswana or Namibia, and start in a little 206 or 210, fly as survey pilot, etc. Just like everyone else did who flies in Tanzania these days.
But the arrogance I have encountered in this 'club' is absolutely staggering. As Launchpad said: with a CPL in hand they think they are gods greatest gift to aviation and demand PIC (!) on a turbine (!!) with 260 hours and no instrument rating (!). Helloohooo, wake-up call! It's just not how things work in this industry. And when I then bump into someone who complains about getting a break in the industry by an operator who did start a cadet training scheme but does not schedule around his busy life, then please, go look for another career. Attitudes like that really make my blood boil.

i heard some good stories from PPL students at Mosswood pilot academy they say that the situation is more than excellent that operators looks for pilots now?
That seems like flight school sales pitch talk. The operators look no more than they usually do, it is still a seasonal business in TZ. And - subtle difference - they don't look for pilots but for 'experienced' pilots - insurance minimums rule this world.

It is a shame how TCAA neglected their own pilots over two decades but kneejerk reactions like this one will not solve the problem and only create more trouble for the the industry and for the few young guys that do have licenses up to a certain qualification level but now even get overtaken by their own fellow countryman that get sponsored.

Look at Kenya's industry (they surely have their share of trouble as well): an almost completely self-sustaining aviation industry with local pilots flying everything from small to widebody. They don't need foreigners to fill the gaps. In fact: there is a whole bunch of Kenyan pilots in Tanzania to fill the gaps that TCAA's ideological declaration of bankruptcy left over time