PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 12th Dec 2013, 11:19
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas coupling
... Whether one selects aft cyclic or retain its present position is a matter of choice (IN THE CRUISE) dependent on reaching the landing spot, but (a) it is NOT compulsory to select aft cyclic ...
Semantics aside, I disagree strongly. It is "compulsory" to select aft cyclic following a double or second engine failure in the cruise, certainly in all the types I have flown, in order to a void a very messy, disorientating and severely sub-optimal emergency entry into autorotation. If you are suggesting that the pilot should look around to determine the best landing site, before initiating the correct actions to enter autorotation, sorry but that is a seriously dangerous practice.

To the decryers it is relevant to this thread. I maintain that IF the pilot was faced with a simultaneous and unexpected double engine failure, the chances of a successful entry into autorotation are fairly small due to the reaction time of someone accustomed to flying twins, and the very short time one has to get it right in a low inertia heli such as the 135. Especially if said pilot had been taught by TC to evaluate whether range, normal or short auto was required before moving the cyclic!