PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an FI
Thread: Becoming an FI
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2013, 11:10
AJMortimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EASA may allow an Instructor to teach ME after just 30hrs
and

unless you have real experience just building a few hours to meet the minima are no use to me
Yes, I agree entirely - minimum requirements in the relatively complex instructing world of the Multi-Engine/IR demand more than a 'tick in the box'.

Experienced guys are hard to find and increasingly so
That is the point - most experienced pilots might have many hundreds or thousands of hours on complex aircraft types gained from an airline or commercial flying background, but minimum hours on light twins. In these cases the ME Instructor Rating is more a requirement than an achievement.

Hopefully their airline and/or training/instructing experience would stand them in good stead should they wish to transfer to the commercial training environment.

The trouble is not many want to extend their careers once their airline flying days are over - and the terms and conditions of employment with the commercial schools seem to be based on 'retired' pilots working for a salary that works hand in glove with their pensions rather than as a stand alone income that reflects the level of knowledge and experience required to deliver effective training.

Whether or not you agree with the argument that airline pilots need to be trained by airline pilots (as opposed to instructors bred in a flying school environment), that fact is the regulators appear to be moving towards that way of thinking and, as Bose-X states above, 'A basic IRI(A) on an Instructor who has not been flying real world IFR just does not cut it'.

The shortage will continue and will potentially become critical as and when the market picks up.