PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2013, 08:40
Jazz Hands

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This series of comments - the captain of the flight being interviewed - struck me as interesting:

Q: Before you had to do that, when you were still like at 300 feet or something, did you feel you had to go around at that time?

A: That’s very hard because normally only in our Korean culture the one step higher level the final decision people he did he decide the going around thing. It’s very important thing. As a first officer or the low level people they dare to think about the go around thing. It’s very hard.

Q: In your mind, then, and I don’t want to put words in your mouth, you tell me, did you feel that as the pilot in the left seat flying the airplane that you had the authority to do, commence a go around yourself?

A: Go around thing. That is very important thing. But the instructor pilot got the authority. Even I am on the left seat, that is very hard to explain, that is our culture. How can I say, during cruise also, when we met the turbulence condition, things like that, easily, B777 go into the maximum airspeed, so that’s the limitation. In that case, I never ever thought about that I controlled that condition because instructor pilot handled that, that sort of limitation thing. So that is a, they control the autothrottle system, things like that. I was also the company investigation team also, I know the investigation or the QAR thing, so my experience said to me the regulation and authority is very obvious to me. So, uh, yeah.

Q: And when you say the regulation is very obvious to you, you mean that there is a regulation that says only the PIC can do go around.

A: Yeah, that is obvious to me, but up to now I thought the very dangerous condition, now I am a captain position. I can do that, but it is very hard, yeah.

Q: So just to close this one out, did you expect that only the instructor pilot could decide to go around?

A: Basically, and the regulation, yeah.