PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skippers lose conquest at mine?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2003, 14:20
Justgetonwithit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me why Skippers don't publish a roster for the casual effos? Can anyone tell me why Skippers don't employ the effos FULL TIME?
Have a think about it guys - The only time you are casual at Skippers is when you first join, at the entry level position of a Metro FO.

If you are employed full time and either the company loses contracts or the company just decides they don't want you flying their aircraft any more then it's too hard to get rid of you. (in their eyes anyway.)

However, because you are casual you just never get a phone call again or, get a phone call telling you that you won't be getting any more work.

If you don't believe this then ask around and I'm sure you'll hear of a few stories where this has been the case.

Stan doesn't want to spend any money defending unfair dismissal cases so employs the new guys casually - if they don't work out then no worries - just don't call them! - gets around having to specify any probation period.

If they do work out then OK, when they move onto the next aircraft type the company knows the pilot is OK and have other casual metro pilots they can 'lose' if they lose any contracts so they put whoever is upgrading on full time.
Why not install an auto-pilot and get rid of those expensive pilots? Let's face it. We are talking single pilot aircraft.
I think you'll find that a lot of the FIFO contracts require two pilots. Consequently installing auto-pilots would make little difference to the company except increase the maintenance bill!