PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westjet's Christmas Spirit: Class Act!
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2013, 02:44
iflylow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westjet Xmas video would never work at CX

The Westjet Christmas surprise would never work at Cathay for the following reasons. Take for example a typical trip from HKG to JFK.

1) The 16-hour block time is not even remotely close to being long enough for Cathay to get it's act together. Have you notice how many years are needed to analyze another airline's linear black-and-white payscale to determine if a raise is needed?

2) With four daily flights, you would think we would have our own ground staff, but no, that would cost too much so of course we outsource them. Do you think BA groundstaff would really give a crap about a CX publicity stunt?

3) When we have a choice of terminal at the airport we stay at, what do you think we choose? Something nice and modern? No, we go as cheap as humanly possible. For those of you not familiar with the baggage claim at our terminal (7) at JFK, just think of the sh*ttiest airport you can think of at some third world country and it's JFK will probably be a little worst. Not quite the festive atmosphere the video would require.

4) What passengers is Cathay going after? No, not your average middle class family with good values anymore. They are going after the gaudy, selfish, me-at-all-costs Mainlander. Seriously, what do you think would happen if presents started coming out of the baggage claim with hundreds of mainlanders standing around? That's right it would be a WWF-style smackdown involving middle aged men knocking over women and children trying to take as many presents for #1. Doesn't matter what name is on it they would play the illiterate card, and they'd probably be telling the truth.

Now that I think about it, I'd actually like to see CX try this. It would get at least twice as many hits as Westjet.