PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions regarding entry requirements
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2013, 00:21
AmbitiousEngineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar issue regarding GCSE's.

Since a very young age I have always dreamt of becoming a pilot but unfortunately I didn't pay much attention at school and was easily distracted in the classroom. My grades are mostly D's and C's, English and Maths were at D grade. Cutting a long story short (as I have plenty to chat about) I was lucky enough and managed to secure an apprenticeship as an Aircraft Engineer as soon as I left school, which I have now completed and also halfway to obtaining my B1 Engineers License!

After having a more in-depth understanding about the Aviation Industry and Aircraft in general as an Engineer e.g. jump-seat flights to technical aircraft way from base every now and then, test flights in single crew aircraft in which I have been lucky enough to side in the right hand seat and even discount flying lessons! This has helped me ultimately decide which career path I would like to chase. Yup, you've probably guessed it! Pilot.

I have spent a lot of my time these past months researching of how to achieve this life long ambition! Fortunately as an engineer I am on a stable, healthy pay packet that I can manage to save and scrape together enough money to take the Modular route to fATPL by the end of 2014. Or slightly longer if I decide to take a 12-14+ month Integrated "Zero to Hero" course as I do not come from a rich family background!

I have spoken to many pilots in the company and asked them vast amounts of questions regarding what routes they took and how they achieved the position they are in, most of the replies have been "Bank of Mum and Dad" or a ridiculous loan that takes eternity to pay off! I often get given so called advice to change my mind as it isn't something I want to do. Well as a matter of fact, it is!!

Back to the subject the only set back to achieving my Engineers License is that I will be bonded to my employer for a maximum of 2 years but I also see this as an advantage in the respects of saving more money in preparation for this career change!

The plan so far is to obtain my Engineers B1 license as it will secure me :-

1. A Large Pay Increase
2. More time to build up my Savings
3. A very comfortable back-up if something goes wrong or I lose interest (heaven forbid)
4. Licensed Engineers are like Rocking Horse s*** in the Channel Islands so I can go back and work in the Hangar while awaiting a job as a First Officer.

I believe in my situation applying for sponsorships would be a complete waste of time regarding my GCSE grades so now is the time for the million pound question!

Is it ESSENTIAL to have a certain level and number of GCSE's to enter a flying school which I am paying over £65K training for Integrated or Modular courses e.g. "Zero to fATPL" or is it just a recommendation for performance in the classroom/self study depending on the school???

I will be prepared to retake my Maths and English at a night school if need be! If I give up this childhood dream now I know somewhere in the future I will definitely regret it!!!

All I seek is the answer to that question and then I can then organise and rearrange what I need to do if necessary!

Cheers guys!