PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of the Sky Pointer in GA instrument flying.
Old 11th Dec 2013, 23:54
Car RAMROD

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Quote:
That top example there in dubbleyew eight's first post completely ballses me up. Im only used to the bottom one, and the plane seems like it is going the other way to me when the "sky pointer" if you call it that, is out the other side.

Correct, that's the trap for people unfamiliar/not told about them.
When I first learned a sky pointer I began to roll the wrong way once. Silly. But I learnt. Now I train other pilots. Amongst our fleet we have both types, and the first time the newbies ever get in the planes with a sky pointer I've briefed them, and demonstrated it.

The reason why you think you might be going the "other way" is rather simple once it has been explained to you.

Now, you are familiar with the type highlighted in the bottom image, lets call that the "normal" type for now. If you look at your bank indicator (the one that points to the degrees bank you have, at the 12 o clock position), its very easy to see which way you need to roll to bring it back under the wings level indicator- to the right.

The sky pointer is opposite. You roll left (both images are left banks) and the bank indicator goes out to the right hand side. Now if you are used to the "normal" indicator and apply your previously learned mindset, you can easily think that you've got to roll left to bring the pointers back in line. This, obviously, is not the correct move and you'll steepen the bank.

Of course, it's not the only clue you should be using to determine what's going on. But it can easily be misread by those new to it.
It's best to treat the pointer as purely angle, and not direction. Use the wings on the display for direction!