PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2013, 23:22
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
He has, if you recall, in the past often said that this Prince of Threads must on no account become a Monologue, or a Duet, or even a Trio. Emphatically, no one individual or group has any ownership rights in it whatever. This is a FORUM: it is open to all men of good will all the time to put their two cents' worth in (subject always to the Moderators).

Most elegantly phrased, Danny, as ever, and one can only simply add a fervent "Hear! Hear!
However, regarding your comment regarding Dartmouth that ....

No wonder you were all imbued with that air of effortless superiority which marked you out from the rabble !(only joking !)

I have to confess that this wasn't invariably so, as proved by the post I recently made on the concurrent thread regarding the new look Military Tournament at Earl's Court, further to a mention of the "Manning the Mast" at HMS GANGES in Suffolk, with the Button Boy shinning up to stand atop the "button" of the near 150 foot high mast. As I posted, having just looked at the YouTube video posted by our mutual friend, Tankertrashnav, quotimg his:

Have a look at this if you're brave!

Or foolish .... since all this reminds me of a visit to l'Ecole Navale, the French equivalent of Dartmouth at Lanvéoc-Poulmic in Brittany when, after a well lubricated evening, our new French "friends" dared some of us to climb their similar, but fortunately not as high, mast with them.

Once we got up to the uppermost top they then proposed that we should all jump together into the safety netting on a count of one, two, three, to which we very foolishly agreed since, after an alcoholic chorus of "un, deux, trois!", we all jumped - and they didn't!

We subsequently discovered that the mast was actually out of bounds to all-comers, since the safety netting was deemed to be unfit for purpose .....

Jack