PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2013, 23:14
Danny42C

Dave,

Beautiful video ! l looked hard, but couldn't orientate myself accurately. Our house was at the end of Bubwith Road (Lane ?), it would have been on the West side of the airfield.

When we were there there was just arable farmland behind (ie to the East) of the house, whatever remained of the wartime buildings and the Bloodhound sites would have been further East still, we never even went across to look at what was left (there would have been little to see, anyway). Our dog enjoyed the field, but that was all.

There would seem to be a lot more water about than I remember, and the place is much more wooded. But trees can grow a lot in 50 years. The house is probably hidden among them now. So no joy, I'm afraid - but thanks for trying, all the same.

And there was the dear old Stearman (the wing-walker, I presume). I had 60 hours on them in Florida in '41 - '42 (Primary School in USAAF), from which my moniker "42C" is derived.

Cheers, Danny.

EDIT: Thanks for the generous offer of the flight, but I'm far too frail now to take advantage of it. But thank you all the same.

Sorry to pour cold water on your idea of splitting the thread, but I'd prefer to keep together till the end (can't be far now). Goodnight, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 11th Dec 2013 at 23:24. Reason: Add Text.