PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2013, 22:17
Danny42C

Danny says: "Reculer pour mieux Sauter".

Now God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen ! Danny is Resting on his Arms Reversed, and fully enjoying the hoo-ha that has suddenly erupted.

He has, if you recall, in the past often said that this Prince of Threads must on no account become a Monologue, or a Duet, or even a Trio. Emphatically, no one individual or group has any ownership rights in it whatever. This is a FORUM: it is open to all men of good will all the time to put their two cents' worth in (subject always to the Moderators).

If we stick to our old Crewroom analogy, we can't go far wrong. (Resume normal navigation)...D.

camlobe,

So you got there at last ! Congratulations ! Now for a life of idle luxury (well, you could dream, couldn't you). And the Vultures retire baffled, balked of their prey !

The Tripacer - only seen pictures of it - wasn't that the thing that had ailerons and rudder connected together, so you did everything with one wheel/yoke ? Or am I thinking of something else ?

My abiding memory of AOC's Inspections was the poor devil I found in bed in my (otherwise) spotless hut ten minutes before the Great Man was due to inspect, and his (the poor devil's) eviction and shivering exile over the hedge until the All Clear - and the Polyfiller Cake !....D.

Dave Wilson,

I had the (one and only) OMQ at Breighton in '63-'64. The Bloodhounds had left, there was no flying (or anything else) at all then...D.

Chugalug,

I never knew that your sojourn in the premier Cadet College in the land lasted three years in those days. No wonder you were all imbuded with that air of effortless superiority which marked you out from the rabble !(only joking !)

I, too, welcome the sudden influx of the Royal Navy into our incomparable Thread. Ah, for the times when we flew the aircraft, and let them sail the boats on whose roofs we landed. (This was a sensible division of labour) Let the Cobbler stick to his Last ! All this talk about the many types of Boats makes me doubly glad that the unscheduled end of my war saved me from becoming the proud (?) temporary owner of a Bomb Scow.

Danny does indeed wait in the wings, but as interested as anybody else in the long tales of misfortune and maltreatment that follow the Taking of the Shilling. It always was and will always be that the Ardua must come first before the Ad Astra. There is still plenty of my story to come. (And when the Good Lord made Time, he made Plenty of It).

Your: "it is always his turn" - No, it's not ! - I'm not the "Primus inter Pares" here (read my discaimer above). But thank you for the kind and considerate words....D.

MPN11, ancientaviator, camlobe (again) and MPN11 (again),

As above to Chugalug ! I'm enjoying the rest, enables me to get a Draft or two ahead of the game.

MPN11,
(your quote: ["I feel rather bad and dirty now"] Get that idea right out of your head at once !....D.

Dave Wilson,

No, if you don't mind. I know the Thread title is limiting - and must one day be irrelevant - but let's stay in the one Crewroom together till that happens (Mods to note, please)...D.

MPN11 (once again),

I think your insight into the Moderators' view of us and our maunderings is correct. Where is the cut-off ? There cannot be a cut off - Our stories form one long contination of that irrepressible RAF spirit which flowered during the war, and has lasted among us ever since. Prune became Bloggs, but he is the same man, with the same host of helpers - ever young at heart and cheerful....D.

Goodnight to you all - never fear, you'll hear from me again soon (I hope !),

Danny.