PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Accident Switzerland
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2013, 11:38
Hawkeye0001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of a long shot, but...
Judging by the picture it reminds me a lot of an incident I had two years ago in what could've easily ended the same: training flight in a 44, intended to set down in a grassy patch at the end of a runway. After a quick look around on the ground the area seemed to be reasonably flat but we overlooked a furrow that was hidden under grass. Of course we hit exactly this furrow on touchdown The helicopter immediately got into a fast, violent, diagonal rocking motion about the furrow as a pivot point (comparable to Ground Resonance) and we managed to pick it up just in time with no clue what the heck had just happened - luckily there was no damage except for a little dent in the aft cowling / a little hole punched into it by the skid fairing.

Looking at the picture I could very well imagine that the same thing might have happened here: snow covered field, furrow not discernible, hit it a tad too hard and slide across, violent rocking motion starts - machine disassembles itself in a matter of seconds.
Indicators would be
  • the helicopter standing at an awkward angle across the furrow
  • skids not damaged / spread
  • what seems to be a hole that's punched into the aft cowling by the skid fairing
  • the long crease in the aft cowling
  • the crumbled vertical stabilizer and drooped tailcone
  • the mast obviously severely shaken from the event
  • gearbox ripped apart by severe vibrations (see oil leak on LH fuselage)

Only thing that puzzles me in this scenario is that the blades did not contact the tailboom.

Last edited by Hawkeye0001; 11th Dec 2013 at 16:13.