PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G1000 vs ANALOG
Thread: G1000 vs ANALOG
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2013, 11:18
Andy_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever
So what happens when you get a fault in one of the engine indications ? You going to fly the airplane with no MAP or RPM or oil pressure ?
I would not take it up without RPM or oil pressure. The c172 has dual screens, and you can use the second screen as your PFD if needed.

What happens if the MAP , RPM or oil pressure fails in your analogue flight deck? There is no redundancy. The g1000 does have redundancy. And if both displays fail in flight, you still have enough backup instruments to fly a plane.

Like I said, I am hardly qualified to comment on aviation gear, but I am an instrument fitter by trade, and I do understand how all this stuff works. All my work has been industrial, and I did my trade working with old school analogue instruments. I have repaired many thousands of these things in my lifetime and I can assure you that there is less failure in modern electronic equipment than the old analogue gear. FWIW, the electronic stuff stays in calibration a lot longer than mechanical instruments too.

BTW, As a sailor I distrust electronic instruments!! Go figure. Problem is they always get wet and fail.

Oh, and one last thing. Full tanks on a Cessna 172 with G1000, the fuel gauges show a big red cross through them!