PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does the PA-38 Tomahawk have a wing life of 11,000 hours?
Old 11th Dec 2013, 00:27
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great little aeroplanes

I have worked on PA38 aircraft for many decades. The newest one I can recall working on had 400 hrs TT.
I have worked alongside LAME and IA types that have also maintained them since new. These guys generally have a CPL as well as the engineering qualifications. The type is well liked and very popular. They were subject to a range a SB in the early days and this was at a time when GA was booming.
Yes we all threw the banter about, the ratchet hatchet and traumahawk etc but it was all just bar talk and joking.
I think of the clubs that had fleets of PA38 aircraft and how those training hours paid all the overheads effortlessly. The Tomahawks paid the hangarage, wages, and all other overheads with ease. The hourly rate not only paid the operating costs, maintenance, office staff etc but also allowed many organisations to operate a range of less 'profitable' aircraft on the line as well.

It was equally obvious from within the hangar to see which aircraft were profitable for the clubs. Inspecting and maintaining the PA38 was a breeze in comparison to the similar 'C' brand machines.

The Tomahawks are brilliant little machines. It is interesting to see the backgrounds of the guys commenting. In my experience the knockers were the ones that knew least about them.
I am pleased to see so many positive comments here.