PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 10th Dec 2013, 23:39
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 441 Likes on 233 Posts
@ ShyTorque:

The scenario you point to, and which I understand and have practiced, is at flight NR and in powered flight. MRH torque is orders of magnitude larger than tail torque, so I don't think your objection fits the scenario. Controlling the direction with slight variations in pitch and airspeed/streamline is in part made possible due to that signal difference in magnitude of torque, and due to aerodynamic forces on the fuselage aiding in direction control ... but thanks for making me think about that anyway. And I may still be missing a point, so have at me if need be!
I say again, unless there is a tail rotor control failure, and it's still being driven, the pilot can still "fly" the tail rotor with his yaw pedals. If he cannot, then LTE has occurred.

But if the main rotor rpm falls, the thrust from the tail rotor decreases quite rapidly and LTE may occur in extremis.

If the tail rotor runs away to full travel at normal rpm, either to maximum positive pitch, or maximum negative pitch, that is a different scenario. Either may not be recoverable, but that would be type specific and in which circumstances it occurred.