PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Army leaning towards new scout
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2013, 14:47
Lonewolf_50

Received 425 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by army_av8r
UAV's have a role in todays mission, in places that humans can't operate (Chemical, SAM, Ect...).
More than that, which I suspect you are aware of. There are a variety of small, medium, and large UAV's, each with a place in the field commander's kit bag.
Unfortunately, UAV operators are not currently trained in scouting, nor capable of filling the recon role that manned aircraft fulfill.
Too true. Each system has its benefits and costs. Field of view, for example, is a factor that needs to be considered.
they also operate at altitudes that do not allow for proper reconnaissance.
But they don't have to.
having 4 living, breathing, eyeballs per cockpit, who have a vested interest in mission completion, and have the best interests of the infantryman on the ground cannot be overlooked.
I agree. Not all budget crafters do.
UAV's share a part in todays Role on the battlefield. but they are not the fix.
Before we discuss "the fix" one must consider what it is that someone is trying to fix.
the OH-58D fleet doesn't ask for much, and has operated better than everyone else with FAR less, for a decade... i have full faith in the airframe, it is economical to operate, reliable to fly and maintain, and capable beyond its expected lifespan.
The upgrade probably isn't that cheap, but the point raised is a worthy one. The other side of the coin is force structure and numbers and costs on the manpower/billet end. (Of course, let's not mention the bandwidth management problem as you get more and more big, med, and small UAV's in the air, and then you get into a jamming environment ... )
chopper2004
wonder if Boeing will tailor / modify the Apache / Longbow airframe to the scout role, make it lighter, more nimble, agile, flexible platform
Would it still be an Apache?

You can hang a Hellfire off of pretty much any airframe big enough to carry it.