PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 10th Dec 2013, 11:43
902Jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabby

If the rig operators want 2 pilot operations and thats why they get them, I don't see why operations over the towns and cities at night which have members of the public under the operating area shouldn't have a 2 pilot crew incase of pilot incapacitation. London HEMS use a 2 pilot crew.
The oil & gas industry started bringing in 2-crew ops in around 1986 (for those aircraft that didn't require it anyway). The CAA mandated 2-crew sometime later as a safety system for offshore passengers.

Police pilots fly 6monthly flying tests, the CAA should make it mandatory for all autorotations to be carried out down to the ground with engines at idle instead of using Sims or TRE's asking for the pilot being tested to flare and pulling away with power at low level. (no touch down).
Now I have no idea of your qualifications/experience wrt flying helicopters. However, that statement makes me wonder. The idea of doing double engine failure autos to the ground, at night is at best ridiculous. There would be a seriously damaged/totalled airframe every week. Helicopters would be completely uninsurable, and therefore couldn't fly at all. Autorotations are only conducted in simulators down to the ground because the risk of damage to an actual airframe is immense. An autorotation in a twin-engined helicopter is an extremely unusual occurrence.

I believe there is a degree of confusion with a number of thread contributors here as to what is meant by an AP. An AP in this context is basically a Stability Augmentation System, which just helps the pilot fly the aircraft. You can trim the aircraft, to a degree, but it is only when using the higher level functions with the coupler, (HDG, Alt, IAS etc) that there is any input from the machine itself. Even when a coupler is engaged, the autopilot only has a certain level of authority, and the system can be easily overruled by using the controls directly.

I am not going to pass any comment directly on this tragic incident as I do not feel qualified to do so (I'm not 135 rated & have never flown Police Ops).
However, RIP to all those who lost their lives, and a swift recovery to those that were injured.