PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toxic (TCP) Fumes
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2013, 09:10
Javadreaming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many millions of passengers carried each year without incident and all of a sudden this is a major issue?

There are many, many thousands of jet pilots that fly for decades without any adverse effects from this so called issue. Who is to say that those that fell ill would not have fallen ill regardless of their job as a pilot or cabin crew.

A longitudinal study into cancer rates in 6000 German pilots over 40 years found that "The mortality [in pilots] from all causes and all cancers was significantly lower than in the German population". An extract of the study can be found here Cosmic radiation and mortality from cancer a... [Eur J Epidemiol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

So based on the above study I would argue anyone stating that this is a serious issue is trying to push an agenda, and clearly is choosing to ignore facts.

Do isolated incidents of fumes entering the cockpit occur, of course. Is it a long term health issue, No. The studies support that this is not an issue, and no amount of guessing at what caused cancer in a few pilots will change this.

These pilots could have easily got cancer and other issues by being exposed to other toxic substances. As one poster said unleaded fuel is toxic, and I fill up my car every week and breath those fumes in.

Or maybe it is all because of the nasty Chemtrails