PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2013, 06:18
Crusty Demon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The crew is in Dubai for one reason. Notably the JQ and Int'l heavies.

They are begging for financial backing for Jetstars asian franchises. They are playing the angle that they can deliver endless passengers from all the small cities into EK's networks in Vietnam, Hong Kong, China, Singapore etc. They are there to tell them that EK would be so much better off with JQ Asia on board.

The CEO has a burning desire to see JQ become the worlds biggest LCC, and to outperform his nemesis, the Ryanair boss. He will do anything in his power to achieve this. There is a personal element in this.

The desperate man however has other problems. QF international is likely to be shrunk, inefficient aircraft retired, and more handed over to the EK goliath. Don't think the Ek managers are not astute enough to realise they are the ones in the driving position in these negotiations.

EK don't have 777's to spare. They are desperately awaiting the next batch of 300ER's that they ordered several years ago but which don't start arriving in significant numbers until late next year. QF won't be competing internationally with their current fleet mix and have no hope or means of changing this.

Other problems include the capital draining mass orders of 320's sitting idle in Asia. This problem is getting worse as they are still being manufactured and there is no getting out of the contracts. There is no chance of QF int'l seeing any new types such as the 787. The 777 for QF is a dead horse as the production slots are pretty much sold now until 2025 and beyond.

In order to see his baby prosper, he needs help, and needs a big player to rescue him. The cost of achieving this will be at the expense of many. QF Int'l is not the safest place to be.

A recent article in which TC was interviewed quoted him as saying he has no interest at all in an equity stake in Qantas. EK don't buy into airlines, they limit themselves to partnerships and that is it. Personally I don't blame them as they know how to run an airline, and wonder why they would buy one that is so diseased.

When Ansett went down, everyone believed Singapore was the saviour. Now that QF is on the ropes, everyone is clinging to the faint hope that EK is the saviour.

Personally, I have just got my logbook stamped and my family comes first, hence I am looking to the exit door now as a matter of urgency. Can't wait to get my super out of there as well.

Ansett had full planes up until its demise. But the cost of operating those planes was way above the competition, just as QF is finding now. So to all those who are reporting that their flights have been full therefore we are all safe are deluded.

Anything up to $60K plus per sector for fuel only is the cost of inefficient aircraft types. Where they could have received better equipment has been squandered as they chose to take large amounts of cash compensation from the 787 delays to prop up the yearly profit, and to fund the JQ expansion.

The point of no return has been passed.