PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Army leaning towards new scout
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2013, 02:54
army_av8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UAV's have a role in todays mission, in places that humans can't operate (Chemical, SAM, Ect...). Unfortunately, UAV operators are not currently trained in scouting, nor capable of filling the recon role that manned aircraft fulfill. they also operate at altitudes that do not allow for proper reconnaissance. having 4 living, breathing, eyeballs per cockpit, who have a vested interest in mission completion, and have the best interests of the infantryman on the ground cannot be overlooked. UAV's share a part in todays Role on the battlefield. but they are not the fix. the OH-58D fleet doesn't ask for much, and has operated better than everyone else with FAR less, for a decade... our fleet can operate Higher/ Hotter than most other Pilots/ Airframes because we are forced to operate in limited power, and marginal performance even at sea level. we dont have autopilot, SAS, FMS... we have to fly it ourselves to stay alive, and our mission means, when bullets fly, we are expected to take that stepchild of an aircraft and run towards the sound of bullets. i have full faith in the airframe, it is economical to operate, reliable to fly and maintain, and capable beyond its expected lifespan. I have heard rumor that 1 apache cost more than the annual Upgrade/ modification budget of the OH-58D Fleet... i will end my rant on that note!