PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does your company describe circling approaches?
Old 9th Dec 2013, 20:32
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course, my friend cosmo, I recognize that you are free to agree or disagree with anything I post here. Whether you choose to believe what I say or not, the fact is I am aware of the “differences” in language and the meaning of those differences – particularly as they impact regulation writing, the reading/interpretations of regulatory requirements, syntax vs. definition, and all the other kind of varying impacts anything written can have on those who don’t claim as “native” for the language in which those requirements are written. Whether you believe my comments are accurate, or not, is completely beyond my control. I am fully aware that many on this forum have been involved in aviation for longer periods than I – since I soled my first airplane in 1965, had the US Military pin wings on me in 1969, have been in the civilian industry since 1974, and have determined that at the end of this calendar year may be time for me to “hang up my spurs” and move on to the world of “consultancy.”

Of course, I wouldn’t expect that anyone with the background and history such as you have would ever be interested in having someone with the limited experience of someone like me try to inform you about anything – and I completely understand … but, maybe, just maybe, there might be some who are interested in what I have to say. However, even given those facts and my recent decisions, I assure you (for whatever that is worth), I am not the world’s leading authority on how such nomenclature “differences” are best dealt with between countries … and this is significantly due to the fact that I’ve only been regularly and significantly involved in the development and application of international regulatory matters applicable to aviation, training, and simulation since 1987. So, again, you may very well have a lot more experience in such instances than the 26 years I have, and may be well justified in “telling me off” as you have, so succinctly. Although, reverently and with no intent to retaliate “in kind,” I would point out that not every pilot gains flight experience via Transoceanic operations while eating and sleeping – as there are some who actually fly airplanes with the flight controls installed to do that – and sometimes it’s true that for a major portion of some individuals’ careers, those controls are used when engaged in pilot training and/or aircraft testing … but, of course, someone with your apparent experience surely is fully aware of those facts.

Again, I can only hope you can appreciate my relative inexperience and understand that I’m merely attempting to keep young, impressionable, relatively new pilots from looking for and expecting to find a “cheat-sheet” method for piloting an airplane. Also, in my limited travels around the world in the time I’ve been active in this industry, I’ve also come to understand the realism of the impression many around the world have about “American’s” in general and “American Pilots,” in particular. I’ll be the first to say, and am appropriately embarrassed to do so, that sometimes, those impressions are “spot-on accurate.” Of course, that isn’t the case every time, nor with every American – but far be it from me to cast dispersions on the necessity and legitimacy of an individual’s pride in his or her own country – even if that means uttering derogatory references to other nationalities’ aviators.

With respect to the exchange regarding “looking out of the window,” it probably doesn’t come as a terrific surprise to learn that the windows on BOTH sides of the cockpit were originally installed so that BOTH pilots would have the ability to see what is outside of his/her side of the airplane. With this understanding, your comment that “If you are on downwind, 1 nm past the threshold, still going in the opposite direction, you will not able to fly with reference to the runway” might be technically true if, but only if, you’re restricting the approach and landing to just 1 of the likely 2 pilots in the cockpit, and that 1 being on the side of the airplane OPPOSITE to where the airport/runway is located. I would submit for your consideration, that the pilot on the side of the airplane where the airport/runway IS located might be the most logical pilot to conduct this particular approach and landing … but again, not every airline does, nor are they necessarily approved for doing, the same things.

It used to be that the FAA regulations with respect to “circle-to-land,” used to reference “…objects identifiable with, or the approach end of, the runway.” That seemed to be adequate until it became apparent that the McDonalds Hamburger “Golden Arches,” the “Freeway Entrance Sign” and the “time and temperature display” for some business advertisement, that happened to be located across the street from the airport, adjacent to the runway soon came to be the kinds of things that pilots were using as circling and landing references. Unfortunately, the folks that own McDonalds’ franchises and all those other references are under no requirement to maintain their advertising or their signs in any particular manner and may, at any time, adjust, rebuild, move, or remove such signs. It became apparent that simply describing the “environment associated with the approach end of a runway” might not necessarily ensure that pilots who were using such references could be assured of a safe and accurate final approach segment and landing. It was at that time that the FAA changed the rules to cite “an identifiable part of the airport” for those required references … since airport diagrams are required and flight crews are required to have those diagrams with them when flying and buildings and structures on an airport are very closely regulated, marked, and shown on airport diagrams.

Also, if it is necessary to apologize to the owners/operators of this fine Aviation Forum, I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to do so … however, I strongly suspect that since there are specific sections of this forum that are dedicated to Rumors, News, Technical Issues, Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific, General Aviation, Africa, Canada, North America, Middle East, South Asia, the Far East, the Caribbean, Latin America, Nordic locations, France, Spain, Italy, Freight Operations, Helicopter Operations, Business Jets, Agricultural Operations, General Aviation, Military Operations, Flight Instructors, Cabin Crew, Pilot Training, Flight Testing, Jobs/Job Interviews, Air Traffic Control, Dispatchers, Medial and Health Issues, Private Flying, Airline Passengers, Spectators, Aviation History Buffs, Computer and Internet Issues, etc., it might seem to at least some posters, and to me, that your interpretation that I might not be able to comment with authority when commenting on “an international (UK based) pilot forum and especially when answering a question from a poster who is based in the UK…” might just be a slightly overly specific interpretation. Of course, as I’ve said above, I don’t claim, in fact, cannot claim, any authority, whatsoever, about anything, other than what level of authority YOU and/or others willingly offer.

Oh, and just to let you know … yes, I admit it … I could have responded to your post a bit more succinctly - perhaps with something deep and intelligent ... like "So you say!" or "You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine!" … but after you went to such trouble to berate me … I thought I would just play “tag” with you a bit more. So … now ... you’re “IT” ... don’t drop the ball.

Last edited by AirRabbit; 9th Dec 2013 at 20:52.