PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 9th Dec 2013, 18:28
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Arkroyal
Sid
Not sure what you mean by the angle of the aircraft when fuel was taken.

It was taken after the helo was removed from the building, so probably substantially level.

How far was there to go to the helipad, and at what distance would one expects to commence a speed reducing flare?
I'm sure that when the ac was removed from the building and placed on the road, one of the first things that I saw happen was the fuel sample being taken. Given the angle of the ac on the strops, this would certainly be an 80+ kts attitude. With the fuel sample point being where I think it is, near to the fwd transfer pump, I would assume that the fuel in the forward part of the main tank wasn't drainable. With the fwd transfer pump u/s above 80kts, the fuel unusable is 59kgs.

This link shows a video of the recovery and at around 30 seconds it seems to me that the sample is being taken with the ac still on the strops at that angle;

Vid - The Independent

Is this the fuel sample being taken?

In conclusion, in addition to the 76kg litres drained (95 litres @ sg0.8) I suggest that there was at least another 60 litres in the system. 136 kgs would still give at least another 10 minutes before a night time MLA of 90kgs, which in itself would still leave another 25-ish minutes until the tanks are dry. So all in all over half an hour remaining before it ran out of fuel.

Last edited by SilsoeSid; 9th Dec 2013 at 18:38.