PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 9th Dec 2013, 16:57
klingonbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mayday

Ref earlier Post from RVDT
Never worked with Dave T but met him thro training role, delightful chap, RIP and condolences to all affected.
Never heard of NIP as an acronym in the rotary world. In my experience real emergencies rarely follow the POH/FRC/Checks etc, and Aviate, Navigate, Communicate is always the mindset I was taught and now teach.
Chinook HC1 in late 80s, flying simple transit with first tourist co-pilot also called Dave who was handling pilot (HP) at time. Gen 1 caption illuminates, " Captain to Crew Gen 1 caption" "Dave you fly I'll get the cards out" FRCs just opening to the correct page when "we have a Hyd 1 caption as well" "now an AFCS 1 caption" "okay some nasty **** is about to happen - I have control - let's put this sucker on the deck now" To my delight Dave starts a Mayday Call unprompted. He surprises me, as at the time I thought a Pan Call would have been appropriate but hey let him handle the radio while I fly it the last few hundred feet into the flare and landing. As we flare the crewman shouts that he has Hydraulic Vapour spreading throughout rear of the aircraft and he is moving the few passengers we have on-board forward to avoid the danger. Successful landing in cropped field and rapid shutdown without starting the APU and everyone clambers out. Not sure of the timeframe but less than 90 secs perhaps. Point is: we didn't know what was going on with multiple indications but we flew the aircraft first and when Dave had nothing else he could contribute he put out a call. The problem turned out to be a Generator cable chaffing a Hydraulic pipe then "bang" the cable earthed and blew a hole in the hyd pipe. No fire down the back but I believe there was a similar incident after I left the squadron where a flash fire did occur. The mayday call by the way roused a Royal Flight Wessex to our aid as the first response - never did find out if there was a principle passenger on-board - but thanks Ma'am or Sir, we appreciated the response.
Things happen very quickly in some cases and flying the aircraft always comes first.
Klingonbc
(Added after below: "Kintyred - good to hear from you")

Last edited by klingonbc; 9th Dec 2013 at 17:31.