PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2013, 15:55
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by HTB
The PB provided a different challenge, with two throttles, two large brass gear levers (forward or reverse) and a steering wheel as well. You needed an extra hand or two if a complex manoeuvre was involved; just was not on to ask another crew memebr to help out (ah, the pride of being the coxswain).
Wimp.

The PB was a doodle to drive!!! As you say, two bloody great gear levers sticking out of the floor (oops, deck) of the bridge (a good 3 ft long, IIRC), two man-sized throttles and a wheel. The trick you clearly never discovered or were told is that you hook your leg round a gear level to pull it back, or use your plimsol shod foot to push it/them forward. Bit painful, I will admit, but I had that dear boat well sorted ... sporting approaches to the pontoon, hard turn upwind/tide, slam both into reverse, then into neutral, "Make fast forward, make fast aft" and ... Bob's your DO

It was my absolute favourite boat. Like the day we FAA guys took 3 of them "outside" and did some "formation boating" off Slapton Sands using signal flags and Aldis lamp signals. Did you have the wooden boards with the signal messages pasted on them, under a coat of marine varnish? "Sea flat calm, no wind, river flood tide" is says here.

"Line astern ... GO", with the execute as the flag/s were hauled down. I recall we finished off our display with a high-speed run (well, PB high speed) straight at the beach in line abreast, followed by a nifty "Turnabout Starboard ... GO". I'm sure the gulls were impressed - sadly, on 26 Jan 64 I doubt the beach was full of adoring tottie just begging for us to drop hook and swim ashore!

(PS. Looking at the BRNC website, it seems the PBs now have an enclosed bridge. Wimps.)