PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2013, 15:06
HTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA

That sounds a bit too much like a real survival exercise - I assume that there was also the land survival element (still in the NF?)

teeters

When I did the Chipmunk HSP course (second half of '69) it was at Chuch Fenton; without my logbook to hand (we're in different countries) I seem to remember the hours allocated were 85. We also had a few sessions while at BRNC, flying from Robourough aerodrome, grass runways (which became Plymouth Airport - now closed); about 9 hours allocated, culminating in first solo.

I don't count the odd Wasp flight from the sports field at Norton, just above the college

MPN11

My memories of boating from Sandquay et al are frighteningly similar to yours. The Kitchen Rudder particularly could be a bitch to drive, especially if you were over-enthisiastic with the control wheel at the extremes of its travel - it could very easily become jammed in full ahead or full astern. As Jock Barclay found out when making a dashing approach to the quay, intending to go from full fast forward to full stop - except he was jammed stuck in full ff. Two bowmen with now redundant boathooks found themselves holding two short splintered staves after attempting to overcome the laws of physics by arresting forward motion with said boathooks.

The PB provided a different challenge, with two throttles, two large brass gear levers (forward or reverse) and a steering wheel as well. You needed an extra hand or two if a complex manoeuvre was involved; just was not on to ask another crew memebr to help out (ah, the pride of being the coxswain).

Anyway, what's all this got to do with earning a pilot's brevet: remember my thrusting young lt cdr DO from a previous post? Well, during one of my frequent one-sided talks about lack of interest (and proficency) in boating, he came out with the observation that flying and sailing were very much alike, and so I must have an interest in both. I suppose so, wind does play a factor in both activities, and a sail is aerodynamic, sometimes. But like MPN, I couldn't 'fess up that it was the bloody mountaineering trek to the river and back that was the greatest discouragement. And the wetness and cold that January to March bring to the party

Mister B