PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Independent pay review
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2013, 10:27
Biggus

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
First of all, let me state clearly that I don't like MPs (that's putting it mildly)! There are far too many of them, and to me personally in many ways they represent the worst of mankind (I think that anyone who actually wants to be an MP should be barred from the job on principle).

Having said that, I'm not sure what the outrage bus is all about?

They set up a truly "independent" pay review body (unlike ours) so they couldn't be accused of deciding their own salaries, pensions, etc, and now find themselves in the embarrassing position of finding the recommendation of that body politically unacceptable. IT'S NOT MPs WHO SUGGESTED AN 11% RISE. Indeed most of the political leaders are embarrassed by it, and are saying it's too large given the current financial situation. Unfortunately they aren't in a position to be able to refuse it. That's one of the consequences of having set up an independent body in the first place!

If the government were to turn round tomorrow and say the armed forces are a special case, and will get a 5% rise when everyone else gets 1%, how many of you would actually give the money back/to charity, etc...?

Because the issue of MPs pay is so politically sensitive it has been kept artificially low for many years, good and bad, by successive governments. A TRULY INDEPENDENT body has come up with a figure they consider to be more relevant, which amounts to an 11% pay rise. It might be politically embarrassing, highly insensitive in today's climate, etc, but those sort of considerations are outside the remit of the review body.

Personally, I think if any MP isn't happy with the pay rise, then they simply shouldn't stand for re-election in 2015! That way the outgoing MP doesn't get a payrise, neither does the incoming MP, since they're new to the job, and for them it's just the salary that goes with the post. Gets my vote!

Alternatively, as a cost saving measure, we could put the MP jobs out to tender. I'd do it (full time) for £50k. Of course, I'm not saying how well I'd do it......

Last edited by Biggus; 9th Dec 2013 at 11:03.