PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is BALPA fit for purpose
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2013, 09:25
Boing7117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not asking people to with hold subscriptions but I am asking them to make their voices heard and tell Balpa what they think should be done!

To my colleagues in Flybe who are not currently effected I urge you to ask yourself one question. When you are old and unlikely to be re-employed, when you have a family to support do you think you will desire your employer to honour its published policies? If the answer is yes you need to support Balpa in fighting this, even if it costs you your present job!
Arctic - this is what Itch is saying. Let's all stand together and be counted.

Just like in January?

And your response clarifies my point exactly.

And to clarify my position further, I will support any action BALPA sees fit in order to preserve jobs, where jobs are unfairly highlighted for redundancy.

Would I take a pay cut? Yes. Absolutely. Would I lose my own job to preserve somebody else's? If it was clear that me keeping my job was absolutely unfair then yes and I would back any vote / mandate to ensure my position is in the mix. Why? Because it's the right thing to do.

But we know this situation is entirely different to January. If a BASE is closing then there's nothing we can do to help prevent that. If the base closes, the job in that base is redundant.

If the fleet in base is closed then again, as above, there's nothing we can do to prevent that either.

Can we follow 'our' plane. No, because somebody somewhere is already in a job somewhere else and can do the work required.

The difficulty is when a partial reduction in base occurs. How is that decided - that's the part that could be unfair and that's part of this unpleasant situation that I will vote accordingly and be vocal about as and when it happens.