PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is BALPA fit for purpose
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2013, 08:15
Boing7117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember pilots in MAN and NCL asking the same questions of their colleagues back in January this year when these two bases (and GCI?) we're put at risk by the last useless management.

I remember BALPA fighting damn hard to keep Policy F the official route for this kind of reduction in operation.

I also remember far too many 'colleagues' in other bases wishing people in affected bases good luck for 'their' situation.

I cannot forget far too many colleagues voting AGAINST the BALPA vote to use Policy F because doing that would cost others their job.

Itch, when you've got an airline where some (relatively well paid / comfortable) flight crew treat this job as their 'career' for life, having built up many years of seniority and with it, pay increments / seniority in base etc VERSUS the brand new, fresh FO's who want to rack up hours and move on to the next thing (and even those like me, who would like to make a career here but know that there isn't a defined career path) then you're going to have a massive imbalance of people fighting for the same cause - because they simply don't want the same thing.

The company will do whatever they want and BALPA to a large degree are powerless to prevent it. Next year, when flight deck have been made redundant, if BALPA feel there is a case, then they may try take Flybe to the cleaners, and they'll probably get a settlement. But that's next year, and right now Flybe want to cut costs now and they'll worry about employment tribunals later.