PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2013, 03:20
VH-Cheer Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rh200 As for Qantas I havn't done much traveling in the last several years, but in the past no matter how much I wanted to use them the hip pocket wouldn't allow it. Sentiment will only let you go so far.
I keep hearing that but it's not my experience. dependinmg on how far ahead you book, QF and DJ fares are pretty much the same, especially when you factior in checked baggage and the price of of a tea, coffee or snack that is budled in with the QF price.

e.g. if you want to fly MEL-SYD next Thursday 12 Dec, arriving before 09:00, you could pay: $96 (Jetstar, inc. bag), $115 (Tiger, inc. bag) $245 (Virgin, no bag) or $175 (Qantas, inc. bag). Virgin's advertised low price of $115 is available only after 8 PM - no good if you plan to do anything daytime in Sydney.

Just saying - the proposition that the Roo is always the most expensive is a fallacy. Domestic mainline is competing with Jetstar - they've successfully commoditised their own business because there's only a very small, unadvertised benefit in the mainline product.

However the assertion does hold true in the business segment where QF really wants to compete. QF business is priced according to demand through the day - $595 in the middle of the day, $799 at peak times, while Virgin is a flat $639 all day. Not sure what relative load factors are like - hardly ever see anyone on Virgin's business class on flights I have taken, while QF seems to be maxed out - probably all public service types.

Source of all fares - Webjet
Webjet Travel