PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2013, 23:01
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qf base has always been so much higher and now in order to be competitive they need to lower it- hence the conflict with the unions.
True, but so do Telstra, Australia Post and a number of other privatised companies. While not everything in the Telstra garden is rosy (by a long shot), they seem to be more efficient and grown up about IR issues than Qantas. Nor do they treat their frontline staff as badly.
Also VA has had the benefit of most staff experiencing the growth of the airline from nothing and the pride ensuing from that. More likely then that the staff feel more connected to the challenges.
And that's the key to it. If your staff have pride in the product and feel supported by the company, then by and large they'll support it right back. Alliance is a classic example. I think the 'union trouble' stems as much (if not more) from Qantas being a bunch of pr1cks to deal with than the big nasty unions themselves. Given the current public opinion of unions I think Qantas use them as a handy boogieman to deflect criticism of their own bullying style of managment, and the press just laps it up.
They feel the pinch of not enough money every day.
I think just about all employees in any aviation or transport companies experience that . These days it's business 101.