PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas vertical promotion
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2003, 22:33
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

I see it a little bit differently TD. It isn't that they're good enough but a combination of the fact that by default they've been a S/O for the last eight or so years and then jumping onto an aircraft where as an F/O you are extremelly lucky if you average one sector a week for yourself and obviously one for the boss. Given the right set of conditions, possibly less than one a week. Compare that with the average 767 driver who would probably do three plus per week and then also gets to watch 3+ from the boss and you can see the differences in 'experience' that can develop over a short period of time.

In short, I think the issue is about guys not doing much/any 'real' flying as a S/O for eight years (not denying that their long haul management is probably fantastic but their stick and rudder may be the the one lacking) and then jumping into a seat that gets very little exposure to the stick and rudders and little chance to observe it from the other bloke either. Despite what some say, this IS different to what happened years ago. It's like comparing apples and oranges. The route structure was vastly different and no airliner around stayed airborne for 16+ hours at a time.

Still, that shouldn't make it a 'crew' issue. It is still a company issue to solve I would have thought.