PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2013, 19:43
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh heh, the more I read the more I realise that whatever way we entered, whatever of our services, we all had one thing in common at the start of our careers. The bumper, an object I will never forget, and which in these modern times is probably just another "old blokes" diversion. It really never occurred to me that our "fishead" comrades would be familiar with our block Sergeants favourite torture machine from Halton. I wonder if Danny had experience of this "stiffener of the British Military backbone". Or did they do something different in the USA in those days. I suspect learning to fly should have had priority. Come on Danny, have you ever swung a bumper ?

As a secondary input, I've just finished reading Peter Cargills Phantom from the Cockpit. There's a passage in it where he explains the difference between an Air Traffic Controller and a GCI controller. Perhaps age has affected the synaptic capability, but it should have been obvious shouldn't it ? One stops aircraft colliding, the other engineers a meeting. I suspect Danny, you have already divulged that point, for some reason I missed it.

Onwards and upwards as they say.

Smudge