PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 8th Dec 2013, 18:59
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 438 Likes on 231 Posts
Stating you have 'failed' SOPs is quite frankly a load of bollocks
I completely agree. For all we know, the pilot may have had only single figure seconds to react to the entire incident before the aircraft hit the surface.

Before implying criticism of the pilot's actions, firstly none of us was there in the cockpit.

The obvious question is: What difference would a Mayday call have made to the outcome?

An ATC response would have resulted in a questions and answer exchange and the ATCO most probably could have done nothing of use, except for beginning to locate the aircraft and to determine the nature of the problem. By the very nature of this accident, i.e. over a populated area, folks on the ground were immediately aware of it - the very prompt reaction of the emergency services to the accident scene was reported.

Whatever happened appears to have been very sudden and I'm certain the pilot prioritised as well as he could in what was obviously a most dire situation. Sometimes things don't happen as a "text book" problem, such as they are practised in a simulator (or MS Flight Sim...) or talked about in the classroom. Some of the most worrying emergencies I've had to deal with in the air don't appear in the RFM. I've also had error messages come up that even the engineers didn't know about and that the aircraft manufacturer (initially) said did not exist.

In any emergency situation, the first priority has to be fly the aircraft and speaking to ATC is possibly quite a long way down the priority list, at least until under some sort of control because it detracts from the safety of the aircraft. It appears that poor Davey Traill never reached a state of affairs where a distress call got to the top of the hit list.